9 things to know about electric pumps
1. Select the right pump for the application. Ask an application specialist to size pumps.
2. Assure pumps meet all current standards and regulations.
3. The more efficient the pump, the less energy wasted.
4. Do not run a pump dry. It will ruin the seals. Do not rely on automatic control systems, they do not always catch this in time.
5. Purchase a pump that is designed to be easy to clean in place. The more cleanable a pump, the less product risk and maintenance.
6. Beware pressure shock, especially from a downstream valve closing. It can bend shafts, rub impellers or rotors and blow off covers.
7. Know who to call for servicing if your pump fails or if your application needs changing.
8. Make sure spare parts are readily available.
9. Serviceability is important. Understand how easy or difficult it is to service by your personnel? Do you need special tools to service the pump?
Content provided by Spirax Sarco, originally published in Steam News Magazine.