How to choose industrial controller hardware, software
1 CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT HOUR (PDH) AVAILABLE UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF AN EXAM.
You have some of this software and some of that hardware for industrial control applications. There’s an expansion planned. Do you stay with existing vendor(s) or consider something new? What criteria are you applying and for whom? Are internal or external standards being applied? Are there “they” and “us” considerations involved in selection? Do you need help or just need to finish, and, if you just need to finish, is your successor going to curse you by name daily?
- Assess what controllers and programming software are in use.
- Determine present and future controller hardware and software needs.
- Examine criteria in place for vendor selection, and if they are meeting your needs.
- Consider the post-programming future? Will the architecture allow updates?
- Learn from examples showing a more supportable hardware-software controller future.
Jon Breen, owner, Breen Machine Automation Service LLC.
Frank Lamb, founder, Automation Consulting LLC
Eelco van der Wal, managing director, PLCopen
Mark Hoske, Content Manager, CFE Media and Technology