Best practices for effective automation applications
1 CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT HOUR (PDH) AVAILABLE UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF AN EXAM.
No matter the automation technologies being considered or applied, universal rules apply. Whether just starting or a seasoned expert, heed this advice when applying automation. Automation can do quite a bit, but do not over-reach automation’s capabilities. Automation cannot cure overly complex operations. Get the right design first, then apply the right automation. Real-world examples will help fill skills gaps with smart manufacturing.
- Assess the process or processes under consideration for automation.
- Determine if a redesign is needed prior to automating.
- Consider key ways automation can influence and enhance process design.
- Identify steps for an automation implementation.
- Examine lessons learned and best practices for effective automation applications.
Kevin Tom, Lead Automation Engineer, E Tech Group
Chris Clayton, Advanced Manufacturing Engineer, Applied Manufacturing Technologies
Mark Hoske, Content Manager, CFE Media and Technology