Product of the Year: Official rules
Official rules for the Product of the Year program, including how to enter, voting eligibility and program schedule.
About the Product of the Year program
Plant Engineering’s Product of the Year (POY) program is the premier award for new products in the manufacturing and non-manufacturing industries. The annual reader-choice program provides Plant Engineering’s audience with information about the top new product in their fields. 2022 will mark 35 years of the POY program.
2022 Product of the Year program schedule
Note: Dates below are subject to change.
- Oct. 3, 2022: Entries open
- Dec. 30, 2022: Entry deadline
- Jan. 16, 2023: Finalists notified via email regarding status
- March 6, 2023: Finalists announced and voting begins at www.plantengineering.com/poy
- April 14, 2023: Voting closes
- April 24, 2023: Winners notified via email regarding status
- Mid-June 2023: Winners announced online at www.plantengineering.com/poy
How to enter
All entries must be valid listings in the New Products for Engineers database. New Products for Engineers is a unique SaaS platform that provides valuable services to engineering users who are interested in discovering new products, and vendors who would like to promote their new products to engineers. Learn more.
Entries are accepted via an online form created by CFE Media and Technology, publisher of Plant Engineering. The link to this form will be available October 3, 2022, at www.plantengineering.com/poy. Note: Entries are no longer being accepted through the New Products for Engineers database, though having a valid listing is still a requirement.
All information requested must be provided. An incomplete form or a form providing misleading or false information will result in disqualification. The entry process allows for a user to submit multiple products at once; there is no limit on how many products one user/company may enter. An authorized representative of the manufacturer must complete the entry form verifying all information. Entries must be submitted on behalf of the original manufacturer or sole supplier.
Products entered into the 2022 POY program must meet the following criteria:
- Products must have been made first available for purchase in the North American market between October 1, 2021, and December 31, 2022.
- If the entry is a new version of a previously available product, the entry must represent a major modification or redesign of the product. New versions of software must offer new capabilities and significant enhancements.
- Products must be valid listings within the New Products for Engineers database.
- Products must be available for purchase in the United States.
- All information fields on the entry form are completed and accurate regarding the product and the manufacturer.
- Products for the 2022 POY program cannot have been previously nominated for the 2021 POY program.
The processing fee (i.e. entry fee) for the 2022 POY program is $695.00 per product*. If payment is not received, entry will be void. Payment is due upon submission of the entry form; entrants will be promoted to pay the fee with a credit card at the end of the form. The option to receive an invoice can be made available under special circumstances.
*Current advertisers are eligible for a discounted entry fee.
All entries that meet the eligibility requirements are named Finalists. Finalists receive an official Finalist logo to use in marketing efforts promoting their status to customers. Finalists are listed in a special ebook released in March 2023.
Based on the voting results (see Voting for more information), one Grand Award winner will be named (the product that receives the most votes overall) and each category will have a declared Gold, Silver and Bronze winner. In the event of a tie, it is possible for more than one Gold, Silver or Bronze winner to be awarded in a category. All award recipients receive an official Grand, Winner or Honorable Mention logo to use in marketing efforts promoting their status. Winners are featured in a special ebook released in June 2023.
Voting takes place through an online form created by CFE Media; the link to this form will be available upon release of the Finalists ebook in March 2023. Voting is strictly limited to qualified subscribers of Plant Engineering products (magazine—print or digital, e-newsletters, white papers, etc.). Qualified subscribers are encouraged to vote in as many categories for which they are qualified based on technological advancement, service to the industry, and market impact. One (1) ballot per qualified subscriber will be accepted; multiple ballots from the same qualified subscriber will be invalid. Ballots received from non-qualified subscribers will be invalid. Employees of product manufacturers with a finalist in the current program and their properties, agencies, vendors, and representatives are not eligible to vote; hence any votes received by these parties will not be counted toward the final tally.
Questions regarding the POY program should be directed to McKenzie Burns, Marketing Manager, CFE Media and Technology™, firstname.lastname@example.org.