The Motor Challenge
The DOE Motor Challenge is a program offering resources that promote energy efficiency in industrial motor systems. The program supplies unbiased information about motor system design, purchase, and operation from experts who have practical experience.
In order to get maximum value from this wealth of information, your company must become a “Motor Challenge Partner.” There is no charge to become a Partner. A simple application form must be completed, together with an agreement.
The Partner agrees to promote energy efficiency in motor systems and educate employees and clients about the benefits of energy efficient motor systems. Here is a summary of benefits automatically made available to Partners.
– MotorMaster+ motor management/decision tool software . See “MotorMaster+ soft- ware” sidebar about this package.
– Access to the Motor Challenge Information Clearinghouse . The Clearinghouse is a
veritable powerhouse, offering library research and reference services, professional
engineering assistance, access to the National Technical Information Network, and
numerous publications and information resources.
– An information-filled newsletter.
– Motor Challenge Sourcebook . The Sourcebook is a substantial compendium of activities and resources related to electric motor systems.
– Energy Efficient Electric Motor Selection Handbook . This 84-p handbook is a rather complete primer on motor efficiency. It nicely complements the MotorMaster software.
– Factsheets . These information-filled documents, generally 4 to 8 pp in length, cover specific topics. Titles include “Buying an Energy Efficient Electric Motor,” “Reducing Power Factor Cost,” and “Optimizing Your Motor-Driven System.”
– Case Studies . Averaging 4 p in length, these are well documented examples of motor-driven system efficiency applications from various industries.
To learn more about the Motor Challenge Program, visit the website www.motor.doe. gov or call the Clearinghouse at 800-862-2086 for a free information packet. Nonpartners are also allowed access to many items, including MotorMaster+ software; check with the clearinghouse.
Motor challenge teleconference
Mark your calendar for 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. PDT on May 19, 1998. That’s when the Teleconference, “Efficient Motor Systems: Your Path to Profits” will be broadcast live.
“We anticipate over 500 teleconference sites will be available,” says Paul Scheihing, Motor Challenge Program Manager. Check the website www.motor.doe.gov for a teleconference site near you, or call 800-862-2086.
This live, interactive satellite teleconference will focus on strategies for assessing and improving motor driven system performance. The event will feature real-world case studies, and it will include a question-and-answer session allowing participants to ask technical questions of a panel of experts.