Four “-isms” that might be killing your reliability
There are four "-isms" that may be running around in your plant and limiting your ability to improve up-time, quality and reliability. The first step is to recognize that they exist and then we can determine a plan to mitigate or eliminate it.
Lets talk today about the four “-isms” that may be running around in your plant and limiting your ability to improve up-time, quality and reliability. The first step is to recognize that they exist and then we can determine a plan to mitigate or eliminate it. Below I have given you the four as well as a sound bite and possible mitigation strategies. It is best if you can prevent them from rearing their ugly heads through good risk and communication planning but today we will look at a reactive response.
Negativism: The disposition to project the worst case scenario.
- Sounds like: "This CMMS is horrible it takes 16 screen to do what I could do in one in the old system."
- Mitigation: Focus on the positive and don’t let meeting become bashing sessions. Celebrate the little successes or steps from your project plans.
Criticism: The disposition to be preoccupied with incomplete or imperfect.
- Sounds like: "This new process is not good enough to roll out. Let’s continue to work on it."
- Mitigation: Create a pilot area where it is OK to fail and trial the processes there with a mind for continuous improvement. These safe zones clear the way and the fear of failure and allow for progress not paralysis.
Skepticism: The disposition to always question but never commit.
- Sounds like: "I’m not sure we have enough data to show that this will work. Let’s collect more.or That will never work here. We are too different. "
- Mitigation: Show case studies from similar sites that have succeeded. We call them "real world examples" in our training. Visit sites or invite sites to visit you once they have had success. Let you negative folks mix with their positive ones.
Cynicism: The disposition to view every human enterprise as selfishly motivated.
- Sounds like: "Maintenance just wants us to do autonomous maintenance so we can do their work for them"
- Mitigation: Communicate fully the intent of the initiative and how it affects each individual. Cynicism loves to attack the ill informed.
What are you doing in your site to address the -isms?