Electronic system design industry reports double-digit revenue growth
A SEMI technology community announces an increased revenue of 14.4% to $3.4 billion in Q4 2021 in the electronic system design industry.
Electronic system design (ESD) industry revenue increased 14.4% from $3,031.5 million in Q4 2020 to $3,468.2 million in Q4 2021, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI technology community, announced today in its latest Electronic Design Market Data (EDMD) report. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four, rose 15.8%.
“The industry continued to report double-digit year-over-year revenue growth for Q4 2021 and ended 2021 with $13.2 billion total market revenue,” said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor of the SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report. “Product categories computer-aided engineering, printed circuit board and multi-chip module, semiconductor intellectual property and services recorded double-digit growth for the quarter. Geographically, the Americas; Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA); and Asia Pacific (APAC) all reported revenue growth.”
The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 51,236 people globally in Q4 2021, a 5.7% increase over the Q4 2020 headcount of 48,478 and up 0.1% compared to Q3 2021.
The quarterly EDMD report contains detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns.
Revenue by product and application category
- Computer-aided engineering (CAE) revenue increased 11.2% to $1.06 billion. The four-quarter CAE moving average increased 12.2%.
- IC physical design and verification revenue decreased 2% to $624.5 million. The four-quarter moving average for the category rose 7%.
- Printed circuit board and multi-chip module (PCB and MCM) revenue increased 13.9% to $333.7 million. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM rose 15.1%.
- Semiconductor intellectual property (SIP) revenue jumped 24.8% to $1,31 billion. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 23.9%.
- Services revenue increased 43.1% to $131.1 million. The four-quarter Services moving average increased 19%.
Revenue by Region – Year-Over-Year Change
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, procured $1,57 billion of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2021, a 21% increase. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas rose 17.2%.
- Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) procured $482.5 million of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2021, a 5.5% increase. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 12.6%.
- Japan’s procurement of electronic system design products and services decreased 2.4% to $222.8 million. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 1%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) procured $1,18 billion of electronic system design products and services in Q4 2021, a 13.8% increase. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 18.9%.
– Edited from a SEMI press release by CFE Media and Technology. SEMI is a CFE Media and Technology content partner.
Original content can be found at Control Engineering.
Do you have experience and expertise with the topics mentioned in this content? You should consider contributing to our CFE Media editorial team and getting the recognition you and your company deserve. Click here to start this process.