Cableless (Wireless) Operator Panel Applications
- Choose a supplier with a track record of successful applications having NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory) tested and certified products for safety applications.
- Make sure your Risk Assessment for the application is up to date and identifies any hazards presented by a cableless (wireless) solution.
- Research current/available industry standards and regulations addressing your application.
- If at all possible, complete a functional specification for the application and make sure any safety related functions are identified.
- Consult heavily with your supplier for their application/installation recommendations.
- Consider best practices and lessons learned.
- Perform a complete checkout of all normal and safety functions.
- to mention a few……………
Remember that “Murphy’s Law” say’s that the unforeseen is likely to happen so keep in mind that responsible suppliers put limits on their products and applications to increase their reliability. Given this to be the case, it’s my opinion to always stay within the supplier’s specifications and recommendations for the greatest assurance of reliability and safety compliance. Often times there are cost saving advantages for utilizing cableless (wireless) operator panels but only if their reliable and safe.
Further information is available at a Webinar I’m presenting on this topic titled “The Case for Wireless Safety” scheduled for April 28th. The link for registration is – https://siemens.webex.com/mw0306l/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=siemens
For more on Machine Safety visit: www.jbtitus.com