10 things to know about valves
A little valve knowledge can go a long way to improving your operation.
Here are ten things that you need to know about valves to help improve plant safety:
- Know the difference between modulating and on/off control and which type of valve is required.
- Know the meaning of Cv and its relation to sizing for the correct flow control
- Understand process compatibility requirements and valve materials of construction.
- Know how the valve will be controlled and choose the electrical or pneumatic interface accordingly.
- Think about maintenance requirements and spare parts that must be kept on-hand for repairs if required.
- Select low maintenance valves and develop a preventative maintenance plan for them.
- Make sure plans are made for training facility maintenance personnel on maintaining and repairing the selected valve(s).
- Ask the valve manufacturer about their post-sales support and warranty periods.
- Establish a relationship with the valve manufacturer’s authorized representative and have them provide input.
- Stay up-to-date on new technologies