Virtualization on the plant floor
While IT networks already use virtualization extensively, its benefits are moving into industrial networks. Five diverse viewpoints on its advantages and implementation are offered.
The topic of virtualization for manufacturing environments is a major discussion, so we are approaching it from a variety of viewpoints. Below are the stories written from industry professionals and their viewpoints on virtualization.
- Getting more from less, Joel Conover, Cisco
- Virtualization lifecycle considerations, Paul Hodge, Honeywell Process Solutions
- Breaking chains to improve delivery, Grant Le Sueur, Invensys Operations Management
- Building reusable engineering, Anthony Baker, Rockwell Automation
- Preparing your power distribution system, Jim Tessler, Eaton
- Virtualization represents a huge advance in industrial network design and implementation.
- This technology is well proven in IT applications and is moving into manufacturing.
- A thorough understanding of the technology and appropriate planning are key to effective implementation.
- Read this story online for additional discussion of each topic.
- Get more information from the companies involved:
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Salary Survey
- Digital Reports
Annual Salary Survey
Before the calendar turned, 2016 already had the makings of a pivotal year for manufacturing, and for the world.
There were the big events for the year, including the United States as Partner Country at Hannover Messe in April and the 2016 International Manufacturing Technology Show in Chicago in September. There's also the matter of the U.S. presidential elections in November, which promise to shape policy in manufacturing for years to come.
But the year started with global economic turmoil, as a slowdown in Chinese manufacturing triggered a worldwide stock hiccup that sent values plummeting. The continued plunge in world oil prices has resulted in a slowdown in exploration and, by extension, the manufacture of exploration equipment.
Read more: 2015 Salary Survey