Teams announced for robotic league finals
The National Robotics League (NRL) is holding its finals at Berea, Ohio, on May 16 and May 17 with 51 student teams from 33 schools in five states and Puerto Rico.
The National Robotics League (NRL) announced the finalists competing at the 2014 NRL Championships being held at the Lou Higgins Center at Baldwin Wallace University in Berea, Ohio on May 16-17, 2014. NRL is a robot wars competition sponsored by the National Tooling and Machining Association (NTMA) to introduce a new generation of Americans to manufacturing. NRL partners teams of middle school, high school, and post-secondary school students with local NTMA manufacturers to build robots designed to do battle. The purpose is to encourage students in a hands-on manner and to engage students in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) skills outside of the classroom.
The 2014 National Championships will feature 51 student teams from 33 schools who have competed in NRL-sanctioned competitions across the U.S., including 2013 defending grand champion Eastern Westmoreland CTC from Latrobe, PA. Team interviews and safety inspections will take place on Friday, May 16. The competition will take place on Saturday, May 17, with the awards ceremony scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
The following schools have qualified to compete in the 2014 NRL Championships:
- Ashtabula County Technical and Career Campus - Jefferson, OH
- Beaumont School - Cleveland Heights, OH
- Bloomsburg Area High School - Bloomsburg, PA
- Centerville High School - Centerville, OH
- Clairton High School - Clairton, PA
- Cleveland Heights High School - Cleveland Heights, OH
- Cochranton High School - Cochranton, PA
- Derry Area High School - Derry, PA
- Dunwoody College of Technology - Minneapolis, MN
- East CLC - Akron, OH
- EWCTC - Latrobe, PA
- Four Cities Educational Compact - Wadsworth, OH
- Frazier High School - Perryopolis, PA
- Greater Latrobe High School - Latrobe, PA
- Hempfield Area High School - Greensburg, PA
- Madison High School - Madison, OH
- NIHF STEM High School - Akron, OH
- North High School - North St. Paul, MN
- Oakwood Jr/Sr High School - Dayton, OH
- Ohio University - Athens, OH
- Penncrest School District - Saegertown, PA
- Plum Borough School District - Pittsburgh, PA
- Propel Braddock Hills High School - Pittsburgh, PA
- Providence High School - Burbank, CA
- Ringgold High School - Monongahela, PA
- Riverside High School - Painesville, OH
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology - Terre Haute, IN
- South Park High School - South Park, PA
- Universidad de Puerto Rico Mayaguez Campus - Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
- University of South Florida - Tarpon Springs, FL
- Upper Valley Career Center - Piqua, OH
- Villa Angela - St. Joseph H.S. - Cleveland, OH
National Tooling & Machining Association (NTMA)
- Edited by CFE Media. See more Control Engineering robotics stories.
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Salary Survey
- Digital Reports
Annual Salary Survey
Before the calendar turned, 2016 already had the makings of a pivotal year for manufacturing, and for the world.
There were the big events for the year, including the United States as Partner Country at Hannover Messe in April and the 2016 International Manufacturing Technology Show in Chicago in September. There's also the matter of the U.S. presidential elections in November, which promise to shape policy in manufacturing for years to come.
But the year started with global economic turmoil, as a slowdown in Chinese manufacturing triggered a worldwide stock hiccup that sent values plummeting. The continued plunge in world oil prices has resulted in a slowdown in exploration and, by extension, the manufacture of exploration equipment.
Read more: 2015 Salary Survey