Smart Choppers electrify motorcycle technology
Siemens teams up with Orange County Choppers to develop all-electric "Smart Chopper."
In the past year, some of the more intriguing and tangibleresults of effective, alternative energy transportation developments haveresulted from the partnership of global automation industry and the gruff, butlikable father/son team (Paul Teutul Sr. and Jr.) at Orange County Choppers(OCC). In addition to the OCC partnership with Schneider to develop a hybrid motorcycle (clickhere to access this story at Control Engineering ), the chopper group also is working withSiemens to develop an all-electric chopper.
The Siemens Smart Chopper was featured on the OCC TV show inNovember 2009 and will be auctioned off for
charity in 2010.
Following are the technology specs and features of theSiemens Smart Chopper (which is said to be the first custom electric Americanchopper):
- made from new and recycled materials;
- LED lighting by Osram Sylvania (a Siemens company);
- range of 60 miles on a single charge;
- on-board charger that can be plugged into any 110-volt outlet; recharge time of 5 hours (1-2 hours with a charging station);
- engine: Advanced DC Motors Inc. series wound 8-inch motorwith 27 peak horsepower and 72-96 volts peak electrical output;
- battery: 72-volt DieHard AGM batteries (96 12-volt cells); capacity 72 volts with input standard 110V;
- transmission: Direct drive clutchless one-speed with 4:1 dual-chain drive;
- chassis/Suspension: Rigid frame;
- brakes: Front Brakes are fully hydraulic, stainless steel dual disc (hand controlled); rear Brakes are fully hydraulic, stainless steel dual disc (foot controlled)
- front Tire 21 x 3.5 Metzeler and Rear Tire 18 x 10.5 (300mm) Metzeler;
- wheelbase 120 inches and head angle 40 degrees plus 5 in trees;
- frame weight is approximately 75 lbs.; total weight about 700 lbs.
Access other Control Engineering content related toalternative energy for transportation:
- GreenCrude program receives $750,000 in funding
- ABBelectric propulsion concept proven in carrier applications
- Departmentof Energy awards grants for engine efficiency and emissions captureresearch
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Salary Survey
- Digital Reports
Annual Salary Survey
Read more: 2015 Salary Survey