News at a Glance
Various events and news.
• Call for speakers 2009—Online submittal for LIGHTFAIR 2009 conference program is now open. LIGHTFAIR Trade Show & Conference takes place May 5-7, 2009, at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City. Deadline for entries is Sept. 26, 2008.
• San Francisco approved a green building ordinance in early August that imposes strict requirements on newly constructed residential and commercial buildings within the city. The additional requirements stem from USGBC’s LEED rating system and starting in November, new permit applications for high-rise residential buildings must include documentation to achieve LEED certification, by 2010, the documentation must include LEED Silver certification, and by 2012, the buildings must meet LEED Gold standard.
• Oct. 5-7: Building Commissioning Assn. Conference and Expo, Hyatt Regency Long Island at Wind Watch Golf Club, Long Island, N.Y., www.bcxa.com
• Nov. 19-21: Greenbuild International Conference and Expo: “Revolutionary Green: Innovations for Global Sustainability”, Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Boston, www.greenbuildexpo.org
• Dec. 2-4: POWER-GEN International, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Fla. pgi08.events.pennnet.com/fl//
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Salary Survey
- Digital Reports
- Survey Prize Winners
Annual Salary Survey
Before the calendar turned, 2016 already had the makings of a pivotal year for manufacturing, and for the world.
There were the big events for the year, including the United States as Partner Country at Hannover Messe in April and the 2016 International Manufacturing Technology Show in Chicago in September. There's also the matter of the U.S. presidential elections in November, which promise to shape policy in manufacturing for years to come.
But the year started with global economic turmoil, as a slowdown in Chinese manufacturing triggered a worldwide stock hiccup that sent values plummeting. The continued plunge in world oil prices has resulted in a slowdown in exploration and, by extension, the manufacture of exploration equipment.
Read more: 2015 Salary Survey