News at a Glance
Various events and news.
• Call for speakers 2009—Online submittal for LIGHTFAIR 2009 conference program is now open. LIGHTFAIR Trade Show & Conference takes place May 5-7, 2009, at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City. Deadline for entries is Sept. 26, 2008.
• San Francisco approved a green building ordinance in early August that imposes strict requirements on newly constructed residential and commercial buildings within the city. The additional requirements stem from USGBC’s LEED rating system and starting in November, new permit applications for high-rise residential buildings must include documentation to achieve LEED certification, by 2010, the documentation must include LEED Silver certification, and by 2012, the buildings must meet LEED Gold standard.
• Oct. 5-7: Building Commissioning Assn. Conference and Expo, Hyatt Regency Long Island at Wind Watch Golf Club, Long Island, N.Y., www.bcxa.com
• Nov. 19-21: Greenbuild International Conference and Expo: “Revolutionary Green: Innovations for Global Sustainability”, Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Boston, www.greenbuildexpo.org
• Dec. 2-4: POWER-GEN International, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Fla. pgi08.events.pennnet.com/fl//
Annual Salary Survey
After almost a decade of uncertainty, the confidence of plant floor managers is soaring. Even with a number of challenges and while implementing new technologies, there is a renewed sense of optimism among plant managers about their business and their future.
The respondents to the 2014 Plant Engineering Salary Survey come from throughout the U.S. and serve a variety of industries, but they are uniform in their optimism about manufacturing. This year’s survey found 79% consider manufacturing a secure career. That’s up from 75% in 2013 and significantly higher than the 63% figure when Plant Engineering first started asking that question a decade ago.