Manufacturers seek supply chain sustainability, carbon use reductions
Transplace: Efficient strategies help customers and suppliers establish sustainable operations practices.
Transplace, a provider of transportation management services and logistics technology solutions, helps manufacturers with sustainability efforts by improving operational efficiency, driving waste out of the supply chain, and enabling customers by helping them establish sustainable operations. The third-party logistics (3PL) provider helps reduce the number of trucks on the road and uses optimization strategies such as efficient routing and consolidation of shipments into multi-stop truckloads. Such efforts decreased fuel costs, empty miles, and emissions, and delivers efficiencies across the supply chain.
SmartWay award winners
- Sunny Delight Beverages Company (SDBC): Ellen Iobst, chief sustainability officer and senior vice president, manufacturing and technology for SDBC says, "Sunny Delight Beverages Co. is committed to reducing the carbon footprint of its transportation operations. Transplace has played a key role helping us meet our sustainability goals as well as becoming a [U.S. EPA] SmartWay Transport Partner. In part, with the efforts of its new business unit, Transplace will assist our supplier base as we work together to further improve our sustainable operations and reduce our environmental impact."
- A provider of transportation and logistics information and services, eyefortransport, honored Transplace with its award for Top 3PL in the Sustainability category. "The eyefortransport 3PL Awards are voted on by 3PL customers - the manufacturers and retailers who in large part depend on their 3PLs to help green their supply chains," said Katharine O'Reilly, vice president of research for eyefortransport
- Participation in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) SmartWay Transport Partnership: SmartWay recently honored Transplace with an Environmental Excellence Award for the second year in a row. This collaborative program developed by the EPA and the United States freight industry provides tools and information for companies to reduce greenhouse gases and air pollution, and promote cleaner, more efficient surface freight transportation systems.
"Transplace understands the importance of a sustainable supply chain and is working hard to be environmentally responsible within our own operations as well as promoting those practices to our customers," said Tom Sanderson, chairman and CEO of Transplace. "Partnering with SmartWay helps equip Transplace with the toolkit needed to assist our customers in making smart business decisions that will have a positive effect on both their company and the environment."
- 80 percent of Transplace alliance carriers are SmartWay Transport Partners. In addition, Transplace has assisted a number of shippers in receiving their SmartWay certification, including USG Corporation, which also received a SmartWay Environmental Excellence Award.
- Edited by Mark T. Hoske, electronic products editor, Manufacturing Business Technology , MBT www.mbtmag.com
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Salary Survey
- Digital Reports
- Survey Prize Winners
Annual Salary Survey
Before the calendar turned, 2016 already had the makings of a pivotal year for manufacturing, and for the world.
There were the big events for the year, including the United States as Partner Country at Hannover Messe in April and the 2016 International Manufacturing Technology Show in Chicago in September. There's also the matter of the U.S. presidential elections in November, which promise to shape policy in manufacturing for years to come.
But the year started with global economic turmoil, as a slowdown in Chinese manufacturing triggered a worldwide stock hiccup that sent values plummeting. The continued plunge in world oil prices has resulted in a slowdown in exploration and, by extension, the manufacture of exploration equipment.
Read more: 2015 Salary Survey