July 2 Southland Industries update: radiant floor tubing, test-and-balance
At the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center located in Fort Hood, Texas, Southland Industries has brought the chilled water and steam plants online, and test-and-balance has begun.
As of the beginning of July, the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center has achieved the following on the project:
- The team has begun startup and checkout of equipment in all areas of the project
- Radiant flooring tube installation is underway in the hospital atrium
- The West Clinic is being tested and balanced and finishes in the North Clinic are underway
- All parking garages remain to be plumbed
- The chilled and steam plants are online.
Annual Salary Survey
After almost a decade of uncertainty, the confidence of plant floor managers is soaring. Even with a number of challenges and while implementing new technologies, there is a renewed sense of optimism among plant managers about their business and their future.
The respondents to the 2014 Plant Engineering Salary Survey come from throughout the U.S. and serve a variety of industries, but they are uniform in their optimism about manufacturing. This year’s survey found 79% consider manufacturing a secure career. That’s up from 75% in 2013 and significantly higher than the 63% figure when Plant Engineering first started asking that question a decade ago.