EC: Tunneller v4.0
Software - Applications: MarikonOPC Tunneller is the fastest, most trusted way to connect to remote OPC Servers. Whether connecting across different domains, through firewalls, or dealing with unreliable networks, OPC Tunneller has the application covered. This is a Control Engineering 2013 Engineers' Choice finalist.
MatrikonOPC Tunneller solves 6 major issues encountered using OPC over DCOM:
1. Cross Domains and Workgroups Authentication difficulties make DCOM connections across different domains or workgroups extremely difficult or impossible. Leap past this limitation with MatrikonOPC Tunneller. Essentially, if you can ping the PC, you can get to it with MatrikonOPC Tunneller.
2. DCOM and OPC through firewalls DCOM uses a wide variety of ports, making it almost impossible to configure a firewall with. Not to mention, DCOM is a prime target for viruses and worms such as Blaster. MatrikonOPC Tunneller lets us firewall our PCs for maximum security against viruses and worms, yet still allows us all the benefits of OPC.
3. DCOM needs a lot of bandwidth DCOM works best in environments with low latency and high bandwidth; typical of an office LAN. This causes considerable difficulty when communicating over satellite, modems, radio, and other bandwidth-limited communication types. MatrikonOPC Tunneller features lossless data compression, which reduces load on networks and saves money when paying per MB of data.
4. Timeouts and Disconnections Plagued with timeouts? Need recovery faster than the unconfigurable 6 minute timeout that comes with DCOM? MatrikonOPC Tunneller has configurable timeouts to work best with your network and reconnects to OPC Servers in a fraction of the time.
5. Data Privacy MatrikonOPC Tunneller now features data stream encryption. "Man in the middle" type of attacks can now be thwarted, because the OPC data is not readable without the key. Encryption can be selected from 64, 96, or 128 bit AES. MatrikonOPC Tunneller can also limit client connections from only the IP addresses you define.
6. Easy Configuration Depending on your system, configuring DCOM just to the point of getting communication can take days! MatrikonOPC Tunneller reduces your integration time to minutes!
Case Study Database
Get more exposure for your case study by uploading it to the Plant Engineering case study database, where end-users can identify relevant solutions and explore what the experts are doing to effectively implement a variety of technology and productivity related projects.
These case studies provide examples of how knowledgeable solution providers have used technology, processes and people to create effective and successful implementations in real-world situations. Case studies can be completed by filling out a simple online form where you can outline the project title, abstract, and full story in 1500 words or less; upload photos, videos and a logo.
Click here to visit the Case Study Database and upload your case study.
Annual Salary Survey
In a year when manufacturing continued to lead the economic rebound, it makes sense that plant manager bonuses rebounded. Plant Engineering’s annual Salary Survey shows both wages and bonuses rose in 2012 after a retreat the year before.
Average salary across all job titles for plant floor management rose 3.5% to $95,446, and bonus compensation jumped to $15,162, a 4.2% increase from the 2010 level and double the 2011 total, which showed a sharp drop in bonus.