EC: Tunneller v4.0
Software - Applications: MarikonOPC Tunneller is the fastest, most trusted way to connect to remote OPC Servers. Whether connecting across different domains, through firewalls, or dealing with unreliable networks, OPC Tunneller has the application covered. This is a Control Engineering 2013 Engineers' Choice finalist.
MatrikonOPC Tunneller solves 6 major issues encountered using OPC over DCOM:
1. Cross Domains and Workgroups Authentication difficulties make DCOM connections across different domains or workgroups extremely difficult or impossible. Leap past this limitation with MatrikonOPC Tunneller. Essentially, if you can ping the PC, you can get to it with MatrikonOPC Tunneller.
2. DCOM and OPC through firewalls DCOM uses a wide variety of ports, making it almost impossible to configure a firewall with. Not to mention, DCOM is a prime target for viruses and worms such as Blaster. MatrikonOPC Tunneller lets us firewall our PCs for maximum security against viruses and worms, yet still allows us all the benefits of OPC.
3. DCOM needs a lot of bandwidth DCOM works best in environments with low latency and high bandwidth; typical of an office LAN. This causes considerable difficulty when communicating over satellite, modems, radio, and other bandwidth-limited communication types. MatrikonOPC Tunneller features lossless data compression, which reduces load on networks and saves money when paying per MB of data.
4. Timeouts and Disconnections Plagued with timeouts? Need recovery faster than the unconfigurable 6 minute timeout that comes with DCOM? MatrikonOPC Tunneller has configurable timeouts to work best with your network and reconnects to OPC Servers in a fraction of the time.
5. Data Privacy MatrikonOPC Tunneller now features data stream encryption. "Man in the middle" type of attacks can now be thwarted, because the OPC data is not readable without the key. Encryption can be selected from 64, 96, or 128 bit AES. MatrikonOPC Tunneller can also limit client connections from only the IP addresses you define.
6. Easy Configuration Depending on your system, configuring DCOM just to the point of getting communication can take days! MatrikonOPC Tunneller reduces your integration time to minutes!
Annual Salary Survey
After almost a decade of uncertainty, the confidence of plant floor managers is soaring. Even with a number of challenges and while implementing new technologies, there is a renewed sense of optimism among plant managers about their business and their future.
The respondents to the 2014 Plant Engineering Salary Survey come from throughout the U.S. and serve a variety of industries, but they are uniform in their optimism about manufacturing. This year’s survey found 79% consider manufacturing a secure career. That’s up from 75% in 2013 and significantly higher than the 63% figure when Plant Engineering first started asking that question a decade ago.