By the Numbers: firewall, green certification, encoder errors, fast computing
Engineering related numbers this month include a zero configuration security module, anniversaries, green manufacturing certification, and fast computing.
0 configuration module is part of the Tofino technology used in the Honeywell OneWireless firewall .
2 institutions collaborate to offer a Green Manufacturing Certificate : SME is collaborating with Purdue University's Technical Assistance Program (TAP) to develop the Green Manufacturing Specialist Certificate. No other program offers validation that a student has a comprehensive understanding of the many topics that comprise sustainable manufacturing, say those involved.
2%-6% of total operating cost of the process line can be saved with an optimized control system , according to ExperTune's George Buckbee.
3 areas of encoder errors : Where encoder attaches to structure, at sensor-lever assembly, and at the lever arm.
6 areas of change in the next 10 years, involve sensors, wireless, information flow, and convergence , according to Honeywell Process Solutions.
10 years: September 2009 marks the 10 year anniversary of the Yokogawa DAQstation data acquisition and display station , which started the movement to replace paper chart recorders when it was introduced in 1999. The DAQstation found quick acceptance in fossil fuel and nuclear power generation plants, Yokogawa says, where there might have been 20 - 30 chart recorders in a control room.
30th Wago anniversary in USA is in September.
- 1979: Wago Corp. is established by one employee in a suburban Milwaukee office. It now operates from a 75,000 sq. ft complex in Germantown, WI, with 143 employees.
- 55% is time Wago Cage Clamp Spring Pressure Connection Technology saves contractors, electricians, and engineers when wiring. It has inspired imitations.
- 1995: Wago-I/O-System is "the world's first fieldbus-independent I/O system," Wago says. It has nearly 400 analog, digital and specialty modules.
- 2003: Cage Clamp S ultra-compact spring pressure clamping unit reduces terminal block dimensions by up to 30%. No tools are required for direct termination of solid and ferruled stranded conductors. Also see Wago industrial control seminar: Implementation tips for I/O-based controllers .
$20 million wind turbine gear plant is LEED certified, was built using recycled steel, and uses energy efficient lighting and heat and cooling systems. And it's the second Winergy Drive Systems Corp. and Siemens Drive Technologies plant in Elgin, IL.
6.5 million nodes worldwide is the new count announced by CC-Link Partner Association for use of the Control and Communication Link (CC-Link) network. The organization also says CC-Link the predominant open network in Asia.
69.7 trillion calculations per second , four times faster than the prior system, is what the IBM Power 575 Systems supercomputers will be doing for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Will it rain tomorrow? See more in Processor envy: New computers for weather service, a Pillar to Post blog posting.
- Edited by Mark T. Hoske, editor in chief, Control Engineering www.controleng.com
- Events & Awards
- Magazine Archives
- Oil & Gas Engineering
- Salary Survey
- Digital Reports
- Survey Prize Winners
Annual Salary Survey
Before the calendar turned, 2016 already had the makings of a pivotal year for manufacturing, and for the world.
There were the big events for the year, including the United States as Partner Country at Hannover Messe in April and the 2016 International Manufacturing Technology Show in Chicago in September. There's also the matter of the U.S. presidential elections in November, which promise to shape policy in manufacturing for years to come.
But the year started with global economic turmoil, as a slowdown in Chinese manufacturing triggered a worldwide stock hiccup that sent values plummeting. The continued plunge in world oil prices has resulted in a slowdown in exploration and, by extension, the manufacture of exploration equipment.
Read more: 2015 Salary Survey