FIRST Robotics Team 3767: Competition, scoring, and awards
Here's what counts in the FIRST Robotics 2011 event and scoring. See also a list of 28 award categories. Link to other posts giving an inside view of FIRST Robotics Team 3767.
In keeping with FIRST Robotic’s idea that robotics should be considered a sporting event equal to any other sporting event schools support, like football or basketball, all the elements that go into raising it to that level count for points and are part of the teams score. [See a photo of the Traverse City West FIRST Robotics Team #3767. Scroll down to see other posts about this team.]
This year’s game is to put inflatable swim toy like representations of the FIRST Robotics Competition logo on pegs in order, a red triangle, a white circle and a blue square and have a mini-bot climb a pole. The game is only one part of the score for the team. Points and awards are in 28 areas.
1. Chairman’s Award represents the spirit of FIRST. It honors the team that, in the judges’ estimation, best represents a model for other teams to emulate. It embodies the goals and mission of FIRST. It remains our most prestigious award.
2. Champion award celebrates the alliance that wins the final match of the Championship Playoffs
3. Championship Finalist award celebrates the alliance that makes it to the final match of the Championship Playoffs
4. Coopertition Award celebrates the team that earns the most coopertition points during the competition.
5. Creativity Award sponsored by Xerox celebrates creative design, use of a component, or a creative or unique strategy of play.
6. Division Champion award celebrates the alliance that wins the final match in their division at the Championship.
7. Division Finalist This award celebrates the alliance that makes it to the final match in its division at the Championship.
8. Engineering Excellence Award sponsored by Delphi celebrates an elegant and advantageous machine feature that recognizes any aspect of engineering excellence and innovation in the real world. This includes, but is not limited to: design, wiring methods, material selection, programming techniques, and unique machine attributes. The criteria for this award are based on the team’s ability to concisely describe verbally, as well as demonstrate, this chosen machine feature.
9. Engineering Inspiration Award celebrates a team’s outstanding success in advancing respect and appreciation for engineering and engineers, both within their school as well as their community. Criteria include: the extent and inventiveness of the team’s efforts to recruit students to engineering, the extent and effectiveness of the team’s community outreach efforts, and the measurable success of those efforts.
10. Entrepreneurship Award Sponsored by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers celebrates the entrepreneurial spirit. This award recognizes a team, which since its inception has developed the framework for a comprehensive business plan to scope, manage, and obtain team objectives. This team displays entrepreneurial enthusiasm and the vital business skills for a self-sustaining program. (A formal business plan must be completed and given to the judges during the Pit interview process. Teams should be prepared to talk about their plan at that time. Look on the FIRST website under FRC Awards for more information.)
11. Excellence in Design Award sponsored by Autodesk honors clear and compelling evidence of excellence in design development, documentation, communication, and presentation. The intention of the award is to inspire, recognize and celebrate design as one way in which you can change your world.
12. FIRST Dean’s List award celebrates outstanding student leaders whose passion for and effectiveness at attaining, FIRST ideals is exemplary. Look on the FIRST website under FRC Awards for more information.
13. Founders Award (not a team award) Each year FIRST presents this award to honor an organization or individual that has contributed significantly to the growth of FIRST.
14. Gracious Professionalism Award sponsored by Johnson & Johnson celebrates outstanding sportsmanship and continuous Gracious Professionalism in the heat of competition, both on and off the playing field.
15. Highest Rookie Seed Award award celebrates the highest seeded rookie team at the conclusion of the qualifying rounds.
16. Imagery Award (in honor of Jack Kamen) celebrates attractiveness in engineering and outstanding visual aesthetic integration from the machine to team appearance.
17. Industrial Design Award Sponsored by General Motors celebrates form and function in an efficiently designed machine that effectively achieves the game challenge.
18. Industrial Safety Award sponsored by Underwriters Laboratories celebrates the team that progresses beyond safety fundamentals by using innovative ways to eliminate or protect against hazards. The winning team consistently demonstrates excellence in industrial safety performance that shines throughout the competition from uncrating to re-pack.
19. Innovation in Control Award sponsored by Rockwell Automation celebrates an innovative control system or application of control components to provide unique machine functions.
20. Judges Award During the course of the competition, the judging panel may encounter a team whose unique efforts, performance, or dynamics merit recognition.
21. Quality Award sponsored by Motorola celebrates machine robustness in concept and fabrication.
22. Regional/District Finalist award celebrates the alliance that makes it to the final match of the competition.
23. Regional/District Winner award celebrates the alliance that wins the final match of the competition.
24. Rookie All Star award celebrates the rookie team exemplifying a young but strong partnership effort, as well as implementing the mission of FIRST to inspire students to learn more about science and technology.
25. Rookie Inspiration award celebrates a rookie team’s outstanding success in advancing respect and appreciation for engineering and engineers both within their school, as well as in their community.
25. Team Spirit Award sponsored by Chrysler This award celebrates extraordinary enthusiasm and spirit through exceptional partnership and teamwork.
27. Website Award recognizes excellence in student-designed, built, and managed FIRST team websites.
28. Woodie Flowers Award celebrates effective communication in the art and science of engineering and design. Dr. William Murphy founded this prestigious award in 1996 to recognize mentors who lead, inspire and empower those around them using excellent communication skills.
Cannot see a comments box below and want to comment or offer a question? Click on Inside FIRST Robotics, Team 3767, third post: Competition, scoring, awards and scroll down to the bottom.
See the FIRST Robotics Competition site.
GO ROBOTS !
Paul F. Grayson - 4-H Leader
TC Robotics 4-H Club
"Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math fun"
390 4-Mile Rd. S.
Traverse City, MI 49696
(231) 883-4463 cell
Case Study Database
Get more exposure for your case study by uploading it to the Plant Engineering case study database, where end-users can identify relevant solutions and explore what the experts are doing to effectively implement a variety of technology and productivity related projects.
These case studies provide examples of how knowledgeable solution providers have used technology, processes and people to create effective and successful implementations in real-world situations. Case studies can be completed by filling out a simple online form where you can outline the project title, abstract, and full story in 1500 words or less; upload photos, videos and a logo.
Click here to visit the Case Study Database and upload your case study.
Annual Salary Survey
In a year when manufacturing continued to lead the economic rebound, it makes sense that plant manager bonuses rebounded. Plant Engineering’s annual Salary Survey shows both wages and bonuses rose in 2012 after a retreat the year before.
Average salary across all job titles for plant floor management rose 3.5% to $95,446, and bonus compensation jumped to $15,162, a 4.2% increase from the 2010 level and double the 2011 total, which showed a sharp drop in bonus.